Mr. D and I love lemony desserts. One day I was searching for new recipes to try and came across lemon yogurt cake. We haven’t eaten yogurt cake before. So, I decided to try baking it and put a cupcake spin to it. I must say it tasted divine as it’s so moist, light and lemony. If you do not like frosting on your cake, you can eat it plain. I definitely love it with cream cheese frosting. They go extremely well together!
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- In a small saucepan, stir 1/3 cup lemon juice with 1/3 sugar over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Set aside and let it cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting (Yields: 2 cups) (Adapted from How To Eat A Cupcake)
- 250 g cream cheese (cold)
- 71 g butter (room temperature)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups of icing sugar (sifted)
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until well blended.
- Add sugar 1/3 at a time and beat until smooth and the desired consistency. The frosting should be smooth, glossy and has ribbon-like texture.
- If frosting is too stiff, continue beating for a few seconds but do not over beat. Over beating will break down the cream cheese and produced grainy and soft frosting that could not hold its shape.
*Note: You can keep the leftover frosting in the fridge for a week or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Lemon Yogurt Cupcake (Yields: 14 cupcakes) (Adapted from imafoodblog)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- Grated zest of 3 lemons
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease the cupcakes tin with butter.
- Sift the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, eggs, lemon zest and vanilla.
- While whisking add in the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the vegetable oil gently making sure the oil is fully incorporated. Do not over mix!
- Fill the cupcake tins with the batter till 3/4 full and bake it for 35-40 min. Test its center with a cake tester, and it should come out dry.
- Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack.
- Brush the lemon syrup on the cupcake surface and let it soak for 2-3 min.
- Ice the cupcake with the cream cheese frosting.