One time, Mr. D’s mom cooked this for dinner and I instantly liked it. It is something different from your usual pasta dish and taste awesome. Furthermore, it is super simple to cook and extremely versatile. You can use/add whatever ingredients you fancy (prawn, squid, chicken or beef) to the pasta. The combination of worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, and chilli sauce creates a tangy sweet and sour taste with a subtle hint of spiciness that will appeal to those who loves sweet and sourish food. It is important to ensure that the pasta is not overcook in step 1, or else it’ll end up unpalatable as the pasta will cook further in the wok and it’ll be sticky and gluggy. Hence, it is advisable to cook the pasta 1-2 min less than the stated time on the packet.
I used smoked bacon but you can use whatever ingredients (meat/cured meat/seafood) you have in your fridge.
Stir Fry Pasta with Bacon & Mushrooms (Serves 4)
- 400 g spiral pasta
- 4 smoked bacon
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 carrot
- 300 g mushrooms
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbs worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbs tomato sauce
- 2 tbs Maggi hot chilli sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to the instructions on the packet but remove them 1-2 min earlier than the stated time. Drain and set aside.
- Peel, cut off the ends and dice the carrot. Put the diced carrots into a bowl and filled it with water just enough to cover the carrots. Microwave it for 3 min. Drain and keep aside.
- Wipe the mushroom cups with a damp cloth or paper towel. Cut them into cubes. Set aside.
- Cut the the bacon into bite-sized squares and set them aside.
- Combine the seasonings in a bowl and set it aside.
- Heat up 2 tbs of olive oil in a deep frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add in chopped onions and crushed garlic. Stir fry until onions turn translucent.
- Add in the bacon and cook until they are golden.
- Add in the diced mushrooms, tomatoes, and dried basil. Stir fry for 2 min.
- Add in the cooked pasta and pre-cooked carrots. Stir fry for another min.
- Pour in the seasonings mixture and give them a good toss. Transfer to a plate and serve warm.
Tagged: bacon, carrot, dinner, food, fusion, mushroom, pasta, simple, spiral pasta, stir fry, sweet and sour, tangy, tomato
Leave a Reply