Last week has been hectic and exhausting. I had very little motivation to cook yet both of us did not feel like eating out. So, I whipped up a simple chicken curry puff for dinner using instant Malaysian curry paste from A1 Best One. A1 Best One instant curry paste is very famous in Malaysia and it is sold in most overseas asian groceries stores . The reasons behind its popularity are its wonderful aroma and flavorful taste. Please take note that there is another instant curry paste sold in the stores that has almost similar name as A1 Best One and it is known as A1 ActionOne instant curry paste. Initially, I thought that they are both from the same company but later found out that they were different. I prefer A1 Best One’s curry paste over A1 ActionOne as the latter taste a bit dull.
Quick Chicken Curry Puff (Serves 5)
- 1 packet of instant curry paste
- 1 medium red onion (chopped)
- 2 potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 4 chicken thigh fillets
- 300 ml water
- 1 tbs oil
- Wash the chicken thigh fillets and pat them dry with a paper towel. Cut the fillets into cubes.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add in the chopped onions and fry until translucent.
- Add in the instant curry paste and stir-fry for 2 min or until aromatic.
- Add in the cubed chicken thigh fillets and potatoes and stir fry for 3 min.
- Pour in 300 ml of water. Cover the lid, lower the heat and let the curry simmer until the chicken is done and potatoes are tender (30-45 min).
- Let it cool.
- 2 egg yolks (beaten)
- 1 packet of frozen puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Let the puff pastry thawed slightly while waiting for the filling to cool down.
- Cut the puff pastry sheet into your desired size and shapes. I cut mine into two rectangles per sheet. Fold over the four edges of the pastry to form a border.
- Spoon the filling into the middle of the rectangle pastry sheet and cover them with the other rectangle pastry, pressing the edges down firmly with your fingers to secure.
- Brush the top of the pastry with beaten egg yolks. Using a knife, cut several slits in the pastry to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake the chicken curry puffs for 20 min until the pastry turned golden brown. Serve them hot.